Funding for Faculty Travel

This is a listing of links about funding for international faculty travel. Please e-mail with any updates or additions. 

Internal funding

The Office of the Vice President for Global Engagement (OVPGE) offers Grants for International Collaborative Research to support travel expenses for faculty undertaking collaborations with colleagues in foreign institutions, as well as International Travel Grants. Additionally, OVPGE  offers a Residency Program at Campion Hall, Oxford for faculty seeking to conduct research and collaborate with scholars in the network of Jesuit educational centers around the globe.

The Georgetown University Alumni Association regularly conducts faculty-hosted package tours for Georgetown alumni through the Georgetown Travel Society. To register interest in becoming a faculty host on these tours, please complete and submit the following form: (fillable PDF) (Word)

The Graduate School offers a variety of grant programs that can be used to support overseas travel: 

External funding

The US Government-funded Fulbright Scholar Program offers numerous opportunities for faculty to obtain funding for international research.

The US Department of Education funds a variety of grant programs to support international activities by university faculty. Georgetown's Office of Federal Relations can provide assistance in obtaining these grants.

The Chronicle of Higher Education maintains a listing of various sources of grant funding.

The Office of International Science and Engineering at the National Science Foundation offers funding for international collaborations, either as part of a new grant proposal or as an add-on to an existing grant.

The Chinese Hanban (The Chinese Language Council International) is sponsoring a "Visiting Sinology Scholars" program, which invites foreign scholars to conduct short-term visit/research in China. Fields include language, history, politics, law, and economy. Compensation package includes round trip international airfare and a moderate stipend. If interested, please click here for an application form and send the required application documents to Mr. Chen Yue, the First Secretary for Education in Chinese Embassy at

The US-UK Fulbright Commission offers a wide variety of awards for faculty research at UK institutions.

The Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung offers a variety of fellowships to scientists and scholars interested in research at institutions across Germany.

The Chinese Academy of Sciences, in cooperation with IIE/Beijing, offers a variety of professorships for scientists interested in cooperative research at one of the institutes within the Chinese Academy of Sciences. The grant covers the recipient's salary, daily living allowance, round-trip international airfare, and health insurance, at a level determined by CAS according to the length of the visit and the academic level of the visitor. Click here for more information about Visiting Professorships for Young International Scientists. Click here for more information about Visiting Professorships for Senior International Scientists. Applications are submitted by the CAS institutes on behalf of the international scientist, during two specific periods each year: March 1-15, and September 1-15. 

The Community of Science web site has a large database of grant opportunities for both domestic and international projects. The site also contains social networking tools that allow one to search for faculty at other institutions with expertise in a particular subject area.

Durham University in the United Kingdom offers three-month fellowships in its Institute of Advanced Study.

The Indian Council for Cultural Relations has a fellowship program for faculty.